This is a remix of the XML, Mashups, and Drupal-as-Platform talk from OSCMS Sunnyvale. The Sunnyvale session  went over very well, and quite few folks didn't know how "lazy instantiation"  can be implemented in Drupal.
The talk will cover Drupal's built-in methods for handling external data sources, methods include:
* connecting to multiple databases within Drupal
* using callbacks with external data sources
At least two and possibly more sample modules will be made available prior to the conference, so that interested attendees can download and take a look at the methods in action. The modules are:
* Pulling XML from Nestoria.es [a Spanish real estate site].
* Tabulating data from a MySQL database.
* Integrating Yahoo! Local into search.
* Calling Yahoo! Pipes via menu callback.